June 22-28, 2024
Lake Clark National Park | Alaska
This exclusive, private Brown Bear Photo Tour will fly you into the backcountry of Alaska to spend 5 days on the coast with Brown Bears and other Alaska Wildlife. This experience is one of a kind as you'll be able to watch bears in their natural habitat with 22 hours of daylight each day. All bears. All day. No lines.
You'll settle into the rhythms of the Alaskan wilderness with beautiful vistas and stay in cozy cabins. On this workshop we'll have professional bear guides to ensure safety and success in capturing the images you're after.
Professional photography instructors Joe Garza and Nick Selway will be there to make sure you are able to capture these majestic creatures and Alaska landscapes so you can go home with incredible photos and unforgettable memories.
Alaska Bear Photography Workshop Information
Dates: June 22-28, 2024
Group Size: Limited to 10 people
Deposit: 50% deposit due at the time of registration which can be completed at the bottom of this page.
Included: Lodging, permits, meals in the backcountry, bear guides, transportation; As much laughter as possible and our wealth of photo knowledge making sure we put everyone in the best possible locations for light and compositions to capture their own stunning wildlife and landscape images.
Not Included: Airfare from your home to Anchorage and back, meals in Anchorage, gratuities for instructors and guides.
Booking: The workshop will need to be paid in full 90 days prior to the day the workshop begins. Refunds are not available after the 90 day mark unless we can find another person to fill your spot.
Alaska Brown Bears Photography Workshop Highlights
- Premier location to observe and photograph majestic coastal brown bears in their natural habitat
- Private, exclusive access to take photographs with no crowds or lines. We will be the only group in this area for the entire trip and have it completely to ourselves.
- 3 Meals a day prepared by a professional chef
- Other wildlife that may include moose, wolves, foxes, eagles, and black bears
- Opportunity for Alaskan bush plane photography
- Stunning views for beautiful Alaska landscape photography
- Interesting stories, local history and wildlife facts from your friendly guide
Alaska Bear Photography Workshop Schedule
Day 1 - Arrive in Anchorage: Accommodations and shuttle from airport to hotel included. We'll have a group welcome meeting and dinner (meal not included).
Day 2 - Journey to the Backcountry: After breakfast we'll take ground transportation to the bush plane airport, get to our location and head out to the field to start observing in the afternoon.
Day 3-6 - Daily Schedule: Breakfast in the lodge at 7 then bear viewing all day with lunch in the field or back at the lodge. After dinner we'll head out for an evening stroll to see more bears or a beach bonfire.
Day 7 - Wrap up, head back to Anchorage: Breakfast and morning bear viewing. Check out at 11 and fly back to mainland, ground transportation back to Anchorage where you'll be dropped off at the airport or hotel (accommodations not included).
Each day we'll create a relaxed, fun and enjoyable atmosphere for a incredible experience. You will gain confidence in taking your photography skills to the next level a have a lot of laughs and fun on this bucket list adventure!
Lodging, Travel & Transportation | Alaska Brown Bear Photo Workshop
You'll fly in to Anchorage where you'll spend the first night of the workshop. Lodging is included for this stay and details on which hotel are yet to be determined. Lodging before the first night of the workshop is not included so if you choose to arrive early you're responsible for your own accommodations.
Lodging the backcountry will be in cabins that sleep 4-6 people. However, we anticipate no more than 4 people per cabin. Linens and pillows are provided. There is also a day lodge for gathering and meals.
Travel: You'll fly into Anchorage and a shuttle will bring you to your hotel.
Transportation: Transportation from the hotel to the flight office is included as is the bush plane flight to and from Tuxedni Bay.
Difficulty of Workshop and Recommended Gear
We will be taking some hikes with mild elevation gains. Hikes may be on soft, uneven or slippery terrains and may be up to 3 miles. Our shooting areas will give you the most remote breathtaking views to enhance your experience. The following clothing and equipment are recommended for this Alaska Brown Bears Workshop.
- Snacks and a water bottle that can be refilled at cabins
- Waterproof rain jacket and pants
- Bring layers for varied weather conditions
- Rubber boots and hip waders are provided but you can bring your own if you prefer
- Cash or Venmo for gratuities for instructors and/or guides
Recommend Camera Gear | Alaska Brown Bear
- Camera gear recommended but not limited to:
- DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Recommended lens 16-35mm, 24-70mm,70-200mm,100-600mm, macro lens, if desired
- Solid tripod with ballhead
- Remote shutter release
- Filters (Circular Polarizing Filter, Graduated ND Filters and Solid ND filters for long exposures)
- Memory Cards
- Extra camera batteries
- Lens cloths, rocket blower, etc.
Instruction Provided During the Bear and Wildlife Photography Workshop Includes:
- A guided photography tour of Alaska backcountry with coastal brown bears and other wildlife in their natural habitat
- Shooting in manual mode (Shutter speed, aperture, ISO, depth of field)
- Lens selection for composition and lighting
- Creating stunning compositions (rule of thirds and simplicity)
- Finding foreground elements
- Capturing grand landscape photos
- Creating intimate, abstract images
- Creating panoramic images
- Filters - how and when to use them
- Focus stacking, bracketing, histogram usage